Every Realtor knows that having a steady supply of incoming leads is critical to their business success. In fact, I would say that a Realtor without a consistent incoming lead pipeline is a Realtor who will soon be looking for another line of work. Ouch!
Companies who sell leads know that. They know how desperate the majority of agents are for leads.
They know that you know that without leads, your financial success is doomed.
One of the biggest lies in the real estate business is that lead generation companies actually care about matching potential buyers with qualified Realtors.
Nope. Not true. They could care less.
The only thing these companies care about is generating the maximum amount of revenue from the names, phone numbers and email addresses in the database of names they have built.
I’m not disputing that some of the leads these companies sell are people actually looking to buy a home or list a home for sale. There are a few “golden nuggets” out there. But rather than telling Realtors the truth that only a small percentage of the leads are ready to do something NOW (and they will have to do some serious gold-mining to figure out which ones they are), they flat out lie to the lead-less agents by implying they have hundreds of leads who are ready to buy a home and just need an agent to lead the way.
These companies are sophisticated. They have master copywriters on staff and skilled telephone salespeople who are trained to handle your objections. They know how to spin the tale to suck you in and frankly, I am sick of seeing it happen to my nieve newbie agent friends.
So I’m going to pull back the black-out curtain and expose these shysters for the white-collar thieves they truly are.
- Lead vendors use your listings to generate leads and then they sell those leads back to you. Why do you let this happen? Why do you pay another company to generate leads from your own listings? Why don’t you learn how to generate leads from your listings and do that for yourself? Stick around here long enough and you will learn how!
- Lead vendors who generate leads from your listings don’t just sell them to you, they sell them to 5-6 other agents as well! Why don’t they tell you that? Because if they did, you wouldn’t pay for the leads, that’s why. So you and a half-dozen other hungry agents start off your day at 7:00 am, bombarding this so-called “lead” with your “Hey buddy, wanna buy a house?” phone calls. Good luck with that.
- The leads you buy are not treated like the real people they are. Think about it. They are never properly introduced to YOU. They are NOT EXPECTING your phone call (or email, or voice message, or text). They do not know you from Eve. They couldn’t pick you out of a Realtor lineup. To make it all even worse, you will soon find out that many of them have not provided their real names and contact information. Sorry…but you’ve been duped.
- You will call, email, text, call again, email again, text again, call again and again and again before you finally give up. You will ask yourself why someone would provide their name, phone number and email address to receive information about a house they were interested in and then refuse to answer the phone or return your messages when you called with the information they apparently requested! Then and only then will you see the light that you have been had by companies who claim to have the one thing you desperately need to survive as a real estate agent.
You’d be better off grabbing a copy of the phone book and starting with the letter “A”. Have at it. Dial for dollars. After all, everyone needs a home and everyone eventually moves and that makes them a “hot lead”, right? I bet your results will be almost the same. Take the money you save and get a deep-tissue massage to relieve the stress.
This essay is full of sarcasm because frankly, this entire subject makes me angry!
But if I don’t tell you the truth, you will pull out your credit card and sign up for some $500-$700 (or more) per month lead pipeline and find yourself smack in the middle of the scam I am illustrating.
Should the owners of these companies really go to prison? Maybe a judge and jury should decide their fate. As far as I’m concerned…I say: “lock ’em up!”
So what do R.A.R.E. Agents do? I’m glad you asked.
There is a better way. A much better way. I call it The R.A.R.E. Agent way.
The R.A.R.E. Agent way is not cutting edge. It’s not sexy and it’s not rocket science either.
The R.A.R.E Agent way to build a steady stream of incoming leads to your real estate business is:
1) Rooted in personal relationships.
2) Developed through face to face contact.
3) Matured with masterful, well-rehearsed, intra-personal people skills.
4) Substantiated with a deep knowledge of the local real estate market.
Trust me…when you can check these 4 boxes, clients will seek you out for the professional you are.
They will take your calls, return your voice messages, answer your emails and text you back.
Most importantly…they will wait for you!
The R.A.R.E. Agent way is simple, but it’s not easy. It will take a lot of work on your part. You will need to build a plan and stay focused. You will need to work on your plan every day.
If you’re ready to cut-the cord from the paid lead generation sources who want nothing more than to max out your credit card, then click here and subscribe to my daily email list.
Get ready to become a R.A.R.E. Agent!